cutest blog custom background

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

it's Spaghetti!

So our mystery plant did end up being a Stripetti - if you remember, that's a hybrid cross between a Spaghetti squash and a Delicatta squash.  Stripetti are supposed to have better flavor and store better/longer than a traditional spaghetti squash.

So, first I cut it open, and was surprised, it was not as difficult to cut as a traditional Spaghetti or even a Butternut.

First I cut it open and scraped out the seeds. I am saving these for next year!

Then I put them on a tray and sprinkled a few drops of avocado oil inside the bowl of the squash, and dropped in some diced onions. Garlic would have been nice, too, but I was hurrying.



After it came out of the oven I scraped out each half and filled two big containers full of the spaghetti strands. Not to mention what I ate along the way. I love this with just a little salt, nothing else!! Margaret likes it with Sauce!

I took a gamble on whether it was ripe or not, but I decided this is the oldest one on the vine, and the deepest in color.  And it was perfect.  There are 5 more of these out there on the one vine, more being generated every day.




3 comments:

Steve said...

WINNER WINNER WINNER !!!

Bonnie said...

yep. I saved a LOT Of the seeds. Plan to plan that in my new permaculture bed next year.

Steve said...

Have I told you lately how proud I am of you? Oh! And I love you,too.