cutest blog custom background

Sunday, December 04, 2011

Birthday fun

I have always loved having a December birthday. For me, it was perfect as a kid because having a December birthday meant that I got to start celebrating the holidays early. My parents didn't really like to decorate until a week or so before Christmas, but having my birthday the first week of December meant I got to go out and enjoy holiday decorations before we got them at home.

Every year for my birthday my grandmother would take me some place special. She would find out something special around town, usually a show of some type, and since it was December there was always a holiday theme. When I was about six or seven she took me to the Ice Capades. That was magical, and I wanted to go more than once. Another year she took me to the circus but I hated that and cried when a big ugly clown came up to me and scared the bejeebers out of me! Gramma was kind enough to try and make up for it by taking me another night to the Ice Capades. I was relieved. It was beautiful, musical, AND SAFE!

When my children were younger, after we moved to SoCal, I would take the kids to the Disneyland Hotel every year around my birthday. They had decorations everyplace that reminded me of the arena and the Ice Capades. Plus, the Disney Hotel also had an ice skating rink. We loved going and watching people skate around in the wintery wonderland of Disney. Luke used to say that some day he would stay in a hotel like that, and we would walk through the hotel lobbies and halls amazed at how magical and fancy it was.


Inside the Atrium wing. Lights everyplace. Pictures don't do it justice.
As my birthday rolled around again this year, Michelle and William started asking what I wanted to do for my birthday. They said I had to go  someplace special, not just stay home and play games all day (my first choice).

The one place I really enjoy this time of year is the Gaylord Opryland hotel. Gaylord is sort of the Disney of Nashville, without all the rides. It's really spectacular. It's even better than the Disney hotel. Especially after dark, that's when the lights are most amazing.

The lights at Christmas are gorgeous and over-the-top, both inside and out. There's no way to describe it, you just have to go and see for yourself each wing of that massive place.

This nativity is life size, and this is only a portion of it
Gaylord has an outdoor nativity which is worth the trip all by itself. Every branch of the surrounding trees is wrapped with tiny lights, and the statues representing the nativity glow in the soft lights from the ground. It's a beautiful scene all around. Horse drawn carriages take people around the hotel grounds to see the lights.
And children are everyplace. I love the sound of children, happy, sad, chattering, I don't care. I like to hear kids, and I like that they are welcome even at a fancy place like the Gaylord. I also like that no one is complaining about seeing or hearing kids. That really bugs me.


One of the lobbies had a piano bar, and the lady there was singing all sorts of children's tunes. Adults were enjoying it and tapping their feet, but the kids were thrilled that all the music was for them. Kids danced around the piano. Even our Rosie wanted in on that.











Gaylord has a great Santa, and Rosie really wanted to see him. Of course, once she got up there she clammed up, but it still made her happy to sit on his knee.  

 The hotel also has this wonderful little village that we managed to get in and see before they closed.

They have dozens of decorated Christmas trees, each being auctioned off for a charity. They have a train for kids to ride, and peddle cars, and an old fashioned Soda fountain, post office, flower shop and library.









Each little area had an activity for the kids to do. Even at the post office, kids can write a letter and send it to Santa in an old-fashioned mail box. If their address is on their letter, Santa will even send them a letter back!


There are restaurants galore at Gaylord. My favorite is Findley's Irish Pub. They have the best bands at this pub and tonight they had a folk/bluegrass band who's music Rosie and William had to dance along with.

So many fun things to do at the Gaylord, and it all looks like Christmas! I said I wanted to be home by six o'clock, but by the time we finally managed to get back home, it was nearly midnight. My goats were sure hungry, but I had to explain to them that it was, after all, my birthday, and once in a while, dinner just has to wait.

Thank you Michelle and William for making me leave my hill to celebrate. Thanks to Steve for the wonderful dinner and dessert. And thanks to anyone else who wished me a Happy Birthday for your good wishes. I had a lot of fun, and seeing the Gaylord Christmas decorations and lights always makes me happy for many days.  I'd like to go back to the Gaylord one more time this season, but if I don't make it, I'm satisfied to have seen it all today.


1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Yeah, real funny.

Good thing I didn't make that connection though.